3. Hot Topics: Digital Competences, Hyflex Teaching, and Game-Based Learning
- Presentation length: 20 minutes
- Format: In-person presentations
- Event Summary: The hot topics presentations will be delivered in the form of panel discussions addressing three topics: Fostering Digital Competences for English Language Teaching, Hybrid or Hyflex Course Design for Language Learning, and Digital Gameplay for Formal or Informal language learning. Proposals can be submitted for either practice-oriented or research-oriented topics. Proposals for practice-oriented topics should include a synopsis of a technique and a reference to teaching strategies and their implementation. Research-oriented topics should include a synopsis of the topic and include central research questions, preliminary findings or results, supporting evidence, and implications. Presenters will have 15-20 minutes to share their presentations (time is dependent on how many presenters are assigned to a panel). Panels usually include 3 presenters. A short question and answer session will follow after all presenters on a panel have shared their topics.
- Fostering Digital Competences for English Language Teaching
- Digital technologies for communication and collaboration
- Forms of assessment employing digital technologies
- Digital technologies to collect student feedback
- Use digital technologies to provide feedback
- Assess digital materials before employing them
- Digital technologies for learner engagement
- Hybrid or Hyflex Course Design for Language Learning
- Instructional design and delivery
- Classroom management strategies
- Creating and maintaining learning communities
- Strategies and tools for student engagement
- Strategies to promote student interaction
- Learner centered approach
- Interactive tools
- Overcoming connectivity issues and communication disruptions
- Students’ perspective of Hyflex or Hybrid courses
- Gameplay for Formal or Informal Language Learning
- Digital play and literacy
- Multiplayer gameplay or single player gameplay
- Minecraft, Roblox, Fortnite, League of Legends, etc most played games in 2022
- Game-based language learning research methods
- Gameplay to enhance classroom learning
- Proposal Information:
- Title: Maximum of 10 words
- Abstract: Your 200-word abstract should describe your topic. Please include participant outcomes. You should include supporting details and examples as well as indicate that you can complete your plan within the specified time frame.
- Summary for the Program Book: Your 50-word summary should describe the main purpose of the presentation and participant outcomes
- Proposals will be rated using the following criteria:
- Topic is relevant
- The proposal is based on current theory, practice, or research.
- The proposal specifies participant outcomes
- Overall Recommendations:
- 4 - This proposal is clear and well-written, suggesting the presentation will be of professional quality. I strongly recommend this session.
- 3- This proposal is clear, suggesting the presentation will be of good quality. I recommend this session.
- 2 - This proposal is somewhat clear, suggesting the presentation may be of weak quality. I might recommend this session.
- 1 - This proposal is vague and/or poorly edited, suggesting the presentation may be of poor quality. I do not recommend this session.
Coordinators: Jane Chien, Judy Wong, Nellie Deutsch (email@example.com)
View sample proposals for Hot Topics: Digital Competences, Hyflex Teaching, and Game-Based Learning
Submit a Proposal
Back to top